VerpakkingsCentrum (Packaging Technology Center)
The Packaging Technology Centre (VerpakkingsCentrum) is an independent research and test center whose activities are directed towards supporting packaging problems of various industrial sectors. With modern test and characterization techniques and proper scientific interpretation of measurement results, the Packaging Technology Centre supports the customer in a responsible choice or modification of packaging concepts.
The Packaging Technology Centre provides following services to the industry:
- Applied research, testing and evaluation of materials and packaging
- Technical advice
- Packaging innovation & ecodesign
- Packaging Testing facilities. In the past 10 years, the Packaging Technology Centre has built up the knowledge and expertise to answer the (research) questions from companies with focus on:
- gas permeability for oxygen, water vapor, carbon dioxide and other non-corrosive and corrosive gases
- climatological research on effects of temperature and light, whether or not in combination with moisture
- transport simulations to pallet level for vibration and shock research
- physical analysis of plastics, paper, folding carton and corrugated board
- packaging innovation and packaging diagnostics
We inform the industry also through frequent seminars, breakfast sessions and other promotional events in which experts from the research environment, industry or policy-makers can share knowledge and experiences. Company-specific customized training under the guidance of the project engineers are available on request.
Project work. The Packaging Technology Centre collaborates with research institutions and companies involved in funded project activities. Through SME-studies, innovation projects, ... we collaborate with companies on packaging innovations. In IWT-funded projects we are member of the users group where we use our expertise to support the research of packaging related projects.
Research. Apart from the company oriented service deliveries and projects the Packaging Technology Centre is also active in the applied, more fundamental PhD research. This research is oriented towards the 'Screening / improvement of physical / chemical properties of materials (also bioplastics) through nanotechnology, chemical modification, additives and / or structural modifications, ...'.
Address: Universiteit Hasselt-Technologiecentrum, Wetenschapspark 27, 3590 Diepenbeek, Belgium
Telephone: +32 11 29 21 62 Dr. Nadia Lepot (Project engineer)